Sir Henry Edwards’ Charities
The charity aims to provide low cost accommodation to the elderly people of Weymouth & Portland who find it difficult to finance and support themselves in their own home. These are traditionally known as Almshouses.
Sir Henry Edwards
Weymouth was fortunate in the late 19th century to be represented in Parliament by Sir Henry Edwards, whose generous gifts to the town can still be seen today – ten cottage homes, known as Edwards Avenue, on Boot Hill and ‘Edwardsville’ in Rodwell Avenue, all designed for elderly inhabitants of the borough.
Sir Henry also provided an annual dinner for the old people of the town and built and furnished new premises for the Working Men’s club in Mitchell Street. A statue of Sir Henry Edwards used to stand in the grounds of Edwardsville and a memorial was erected by public subscription in Melcombe Regis Cemetery, but the best known tribute to the man who was M.P. from 1867- 1885 and who declined the Freedom of the Borough, is the statue outside the Alexandra gardens, erected in 1885.
Residents of Edwards Homes, do not pay rent, but pay a maintenance contribution set by the trust, many get help with this by receipt of housing benefit. Consequently Residents are not tenants of the trust and they do not rent the properties but occupy them at the will of the trustees under a set of Regulations set by the Trustees.