Welcome to Weymouth Town Charities Forums News From The Students Oxford University, Lloyds Bank and Dorset County Council Economics Department

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Sam Henman 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sam Henman
    Participant

Part 1 – Maths and Stats at UNIQ Summer School Oxford University

At Oxford summer school I spent a week learning high level mathematics and statistics that I hadn’t previously been exposed to in my Alevel studies and learnt it’s applications from professors and researchers at the top of their fields. They taught me about some of the very real applications of a rather abstract subject such as the current testing of potential Ebola vaccines. I learnt how Markov chains are used and how regression models are used to find correlations in data (I got to code my own regression models and present my findings to the group which taught me a useful skill for an economist). These talks not only helped my understanding of the subjects but also allowed me to ponder where I would like to take statistics in the future. We were also given question and answer sessions with alumni and people working in the field such as a statistician and economist who worked with top politicians in advising them on key issues like what to do with the increasing pressure for space in prisons.
    I really enjoyed my time at Oxford University as it allowed me to explore deeper into 2 subjects I love, meet lots of fantastic like-minded people, experience University life and generally was just really fun with a wealth of enriching activities in the evenings after my studies like fancy dinners, sports, interesting talks by postgraduate students on their research and comedy evenings. I also feel like I am now a lot better equipped to make a successful Oxbridge application as they talked us through the process and showed us exactly what they required from us.

Sam Henman
    Participant

Part 2 Lloyds Bank Weymouth 1st-12th August

For the second part of my scholarship with Sam Mico I spent 2 weeks at Lloyds Bank Weymouth, learning about the uses of economics in retail banking. I spent a lot of time with assistant bank manager Steve, from whom I got invaluable insight into the importance of a thorough, positive and caring manager in a successful team. I sat in management telecoms, learnt how risk is handled in a bank, sat in on one on one meetings with other members of staff and was shown how complaints are filed. I also spent time shadowing every other role in the bank, learning how Lloyds liaise with businesses, set up loans, and deal with customers. I was given the opportunity to do questionnaires on customers to try to improve customer service, help set up some of the machinery and balance the tills.

Everyone was very friendly and I learnt so many transferable skills, and gave me some useful insight into what life in the private sector is like.

Sam Henman
    Participant

Part 3 – Dorset County Council Economics Department

For the final part of my scholarship, I spent a week in the economics, statistics and research branch of Dorset County Council. I learnt so much in a very short timescale about the day to day uses of statistics and economics in the running of our County. In my time there I researched subjects like deprivation, business survival rates and migration in Dorset and produced statistical bulletins to show my findings. I have also got the chance to talk to people about the genuinely fascinating work they do at DCC such as trying to find a way to house Syrian Migrants and integrate them into society and how GIS is used around the council for looking at flooding, birth rates, broadband coverage and all manner of other things. My time there gave me a really tangible use for the geography I learn at Budmouth and made me really think about what I’d like to do with my geographical, mathematical and analytical skills when I’m older. I really like the idea of working in the public sector thanks to my time at DCC as it made me realise just how many ways there are to help people with the skills I’ll use at Uni.

My three experiences have complemented each other fantastically having given me a wonderful insight in to both like in academia as well as the public and private sectors. They have enabled me to learn and improve skills that will be useful whenever I go and given me a quality experience to put on my personal statement when applying to Russel Group Uni’s in the next few months and in writing my CV when i eventually enter the working world. A big thank you to the Sam Mico trust for helping me so much and to Marcel for finding such brilliant placements for me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search